PDC Tax Law Specialist Series on 30.03.2012 and 25.05.2012
PDC Tax Law Specialist Series
As part of its Professional Development Programme, the PDC is pleased to present a PDC Tax Law Specialist Series by Mr S. Saravana Kumar as follows:
1. Taxation of Compensation on Friday, 30.03.2012
Areas to be covered
KPHDN v Metacorp Development: Is compensation for land acquisition taxable?
Suasana Indah v KPHDN: Is compensation for termination of contract taxable?
KPHDN v Abdul Jalil: Is compensation for termination of employment taxable?
2. Tax Issues in Financial Transactions on Friday, 25.05.2012
Areas to be covered
Section 29: Interest obtainable on demand- what is the meaning of obtainable?
Section 22(2): Does receivable include release of debt?
Section 30(4): Does it include the release of debt from non-business income source?
Section 140(1): can Section 140(1) be used for thin capitalisation?
Section 140(1): can Section 140(1) be used for transfer pricing?
Section 33(1): are bank guarantee fees, pre-payment penalty and rating fees deductible?
Section 33(1)(a): must interest be disbursed to be eligible for deduction?
Time: 3.00 p.m.
Venue: KL Bar Auditorium
10th Floor, Wisma Kraftangan
No. 9 Jalan Tun Perak, Kuala Lumpur
About the speaker
S. Saravana Kumar is a partner with Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill. Saravana holds an LL.M in Taxation from the London School of Economics. He has appeared before the Special Commissioners of Income Tax and the superior Courts for various tax and customs disputes in Malaysia. His recent landmark cases are MD, OPD, SETM, MP, DLM, G Sdn Bhd, LSM and SH. Besides tax litigation, Saravana also actively advise businesses on tax advisory & planning, tax audit & investigation, transfer pricing, double taxation issues in cross-border transactions, indirect tax and stamp duty matters. He regularly represent taxpayers in negotiations with the Inland Revenue Board, Royal Malaysian Customs Department and Ministry of Finance. The Legal 500 commented that Saravana is ‘committed’, ‘sound in knowledge’, ‘amiable’ and always ‘well prepared’. Asialaw described the firm’s tax team as “very attentive, proactive and willing to share ideas on how the transaction works” and “consistently provides good service”.
Pupils-in-Chambers / Law Students – RM30.00 per participant per seminar or RM50 per participant for both Seminars
Members of the Bar – RM60.00 per participant per seminar or RM100 per participant for both Seminars
Non-Members – RM100.00 per participant per seminar or RM180 per participant for both Seminars
Registration Must be Accompanied With Payment to Guarantee Your Place
Only 120 Seats Available.
• Registration is Strictly on a First-Come, First-Served Basis
• The Organisers Reserve the Right to Postpone or Cancel the Seminar if Necessary
• Fee paid is non-refundable unless the Seminar is cancelled by the Organisers. If a participant is unable to attend, a replacement participant is allowed.
• The registration counter will be opened for registration at 2.30 p.m. on the day of the event. The Seminar will start at 3.00 p.m. sharp. Please be punctual.
• Click here to register for the Seminar on 30.03.2012, here to register for the Seminar on 25.05.2012 and here to register for both Seminars.
For registration information, please contact Tini/Mas.
For futher inquiries please contact Melissa at the KL Bar Sectretariat 03-26933585 or email at email@example.com