To all members of the Kuala Lumpur Bar
Agenda and Motion for the 20th Annual General Meeting of the Kuala Lumpur Bar
Please be reminded that the 20th Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) of the Kuala Lumpur Bar will be held as follows:
Date: 23rd February 2012 (Thursday)
Time: 2.00 p.m.
Venue: Auditorium, Level 3 Wisma MCA, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
- To confirm and adopt the minutes of the 19th Annual General Meeting held on 23rd February 2011.
- Matters arising.
- To consider, and if thought fit, to adopt the Annual Report 2011/12.
- To consider, and if thought fit, to pass the Audited Accounts for the year ending 31st December 2011.
- To consider the Motion dated 18th January 2012 proposed by the Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee to increase the annual subscription by RM25-00 to RM125-00. (Scroll down to view the Motion)
- To elect the Chairman of the Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee for 2012/13.
- To elect ten (10) members of the Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee for 2012/13.
- To elect one (1) member to represent the Kuala Lumpur Bar on the Bar Council for 2012/13.
Baljit Singh Sidhu
- The Right Honourable Chief Justice and the President of the Industrial Court have very kindly agreed to allow adjournment of cases for members of the Kuala Lumpur Bar who wish to attend the above AGM. The Right Honourable Chief Justice however has advised that members apply early for adjournments, i.e. no later than 2nd February 2012. Click here for copy of the letters.
- Registration Counters will be opened at 12.30pm. Light refreshments will be served from 1:00pm. onwards before the commencement of the meeting.
- Wisma MCA is located close to the Ampang Park (Kelana Jaya Line) LRT Station and members are encouraged to use public transportation, as parking spaces may be limited.
MOTION PROPOSED BY THE KUALA LUMPUR BAR COMMITTEE TO INCREASE THE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION BY RM25-00 TO RM125-00
WHEREAS the current subscription pursuant to Section 73(i) of the Legal Profession Act 1976 is RM100 per annum which amount was fixed by the Kuala Lumpur Bar at its Annual General Meeting on 23rd February 2011.
WHEREAS the subscription has remained at RM100 per annum for the last 30 years since 1981 (then it was the Selangor & Federal Territory Bar) and when the Kuala Lumpur Bar was established on 01.07.1992, the subscription continued to be RM100.00 per annum and has remained the same since then.
WHEREAS the two (2) main sources of income for the Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee (“KLBC”) are the annual subscription and the BC Box rental.
WHEREAS with the implemention of the electronic filing system, the KLBC will soon be losing the revenue from the BC Box rental as the electronic filing system will reduce and eventually eliminate the need for BC Boxes.
WHEREAS the annual revenue generated from BC Box rental is more than RM100,000-00 and losing this revenue would cause the KLBC to suffer a deficit as can be see from the chart marked as Appendix 1.
WHEREAS for the last 5 years, the annual subscription income remained about the same (see Appendix 2) and about 90% of the subscription income goes to staff salaries, bonuses, EPF, Socso and office and auditorium rental and such expenditure will only increase and not decrease in particular staff salaries.
WHEREAS foreseeing an imminent loss of revenue from BC Box rental and the unavoidable annual increase in expenditure, it would only be prudent and responsible for the KLBC to seek an increase in the subscription at this stage and not wait for the KLBC to suffer a deficit before taking steps to address the situation by requesting for a much larger increase.
WHEREAS looking at the last 5 years’ Financial Statements of the KLBC, it would appear that a sum equivalent to the revenue generated from the BC Box rental would be sufficient to cover the expenditure of the KLBC.
NOW IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED that pursuant to Section 73(i) of the Legal Profession Act 1976, the annual subscription shall be increased by RM25-00 to RM125-00.
Dated 18th January 2012
Brendan Navin Siva
Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee